Forty-six emerging designers from around the globe have been announced for iD's prestigious International Emerging Designer Show to be held in Dunedin on Thursday 3rd May and Friday 4th May. Selected from a record 200 entries, the finalists will travel to Dunedin to showcase their designs which will be judged by this year's panel of experts. This year's Emerging selection committee was made up of Kiwi designers Tanya Carlson, Benny Castles from WORLD, and Margi Robertson of NOM*d. "As Australasia's only international emerging fashion competition, designers from the top fashion schools around the world are eager to come to Dunedin to network and to launch their collections on a global platform," said Dr Margo Barton, Professor of Fashion and iD Dunedin Fashion creative director. "The talent on show for 2018 is pushing boundaries with diverse cultural and personal identities explored through their fashion languages. iD 2018 will present a real diversity of cutting-edge international fashion where 17 countries are represented with each collection interpreting elements of that culture in original design."
Prizes include NZ$6000 for the H&J First Place winner, Rodd and Gunn Second Place ($4000), Gallery de Novo Third Place ($2000) and a range of other special prizes.
Tickets on sale from Monday February 26 through Ticketmaster.co.nz.
This year’s finalists are:
From New Zealand:
- Auckland University of Technology: April Gourdie, Ariane Ilagan, Wilbur Hsu.
- Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design, Auckland: Sally Oh, Catherine Balle, Wade O’Brien.
- Massey University, Wellington: Gemma Cornish.
- Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin: Dylan McCutcheon-Peat.
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology: Xiangqiao Sheng, Madeleine Jost, Lucy Dickinson.
- University of Technology, Sydney: Allie Howard, Alissar Hammoud, Antoinette El-Alam, Yael Frischling, Tess Tavener Hanks, Lisa Liu, Misaki Oba, Jessica Guzman, Sarah Lim.
- UBA (Universidad de Buenos Aires): Camila Fuchs and Micaela Clubourg.
- BGMEA University of Fashion and Technology: Rokaiya Ahmed Purna.
- Ryerson University: Stephanie Moscall-Varey.
- Shanghai University of Engineering Science/Sino-French Institute of Fashion Design: ZhiSheng Cao.
- Faculty of Textile Technology Zagreb: Damir Begović
- Shenkar College of Engineering and Design: Matan Glik.
- Domus Academy: Adireg Comenoi.
From Hong Kong:
- HKPU: Leung Hiu Ching, Shun Yin Wong.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (Mumbai): Shreya Jain.
- BUNKA Fashion Graduate University: Kenta Nishimura.
- Universidad de Monterrey: Ingrid Aldama.
- Cracow School of Arts and Fashion Design: Artur Stec.
- LASALLE College of the Arts: Joanna Lim.
- Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts: Vina Liliani.
- LCI Barcelona: Diana Abalo.
- Manchester Fashion Institute, Manchester Metropolitan University: Katie Clarke, Jade Shields.
- Birmingham City University: Shafia Begum.
- University of Westminster: Jasper McGilvray.
- Nottingham Trent University: Annaiss Yucra Mancilla (Peru)
From USA/Dominican Republic:
- Fashion of Institute Technology: Margarita and Cristina Ng (twins).
- Parsons School of Design: Helena Bajaj Larsen.
- Savannah College of Art and Design: Naeun Kim.