Designer Position Available
WHO WE ARE
Founded by Gosia Piatek in 2006, Kowtow is a seed-to-garment brand, made entirely from 100% Fairtrade certified organic cotton.
Gosia believes that clothing is a vessel for a much bigger concept towards a healthier planet and a fairer world. Determined to create a positive environmental contribution, Kowtow works with nature to provide people with a natural and circular clothing solution, whilst working in sustainability and innovation.
“The limitations of our ethos keeps us innovative. We don’t compromise on design, and embrace restrictions. This gives our garments a strong minimal identity, and we believe the simplicity of our clothing is the first step toward circularity.”
– Gosia Piatek, Kowtow Founder & Creative Director
Based in Wellington and reporting to the Creative Director, this role is responsible for the design and development of inspiring seasonal collections using a single natural fibre. The successful candidate will thrive on the challenge of creating inspiring product designs that represent the brand aesthetic and align with the commercial and sustainable goals of the business.
THE PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research, create and update range themes and mood-boards with Creative Director
- Identify and analyse market and sales trends, to ensure product development aligns with the seasonal range plan and Kowtow’s commercial goals
- Research, design and develop innovative product designs across all categories, including cut and sew, knitwear, denim and wovens
- Collaborate with technical and production team on product prototypes and sampling, ensuring all deadlines are met
- Oversee technical processes to ensure consistently high quality in fit and construction
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 5 years experience in a similar role
- Highly creative, both conceptually and hands-on
- Ability to sketch by hand
- In depth understanding of product design and development
- Resourceful and proactive approach, with a commercial understanding of the industry and current market trends
- Deadline driven with exceptional attention to detail
- Team player with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Mac literate, and experience with Adobe Suite and/or other design software
- Confident communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
Ideally you care about preserving the planet as much as we do and have a genuine interest in circularity, sustainability and innovation.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Kowtow we are proud of our kind and caring culture. Flexible working options, birthday leave and volunteer days are just some of the ways we support the health and wellbeing of our team. We also offer a seasonal clothing allowance and discount so you and your loved ones can enjoy wearing our Fairtrade organic cotton clothing.
We are committed to providing an environment where people can achieve their potential by offering equal opportunities for growth and development, and we actively encourage collaboration and ideation. You will thrive at Kowtow if you have a positive attitude and share our vision of leaving the planet better than we found it!
To learn more about Kowtow please visit kowtowclothing.com
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Apply now through Seek or email us at email@example.com with your cover letter and CV.